New for December 2013, as my way of recapping the year and prepping for 2014, I have decided to try another challenge. My updating is more sporadic now than in October 2011, the last time I did one, but hey- I update as I please.
Here’s the first 3 days:
1. Look up your horoscope for today and tell us how accurate you think it is.
“Turn one part of the project over to someone you feel is more qualified to handle it. There’s no sense trying to do everything yourself when you know someone out there is better suited to the task. Today calls for a steady and patient hand. If you don’t think you have the skills, admit it. You’ll gain more respect by delegating than by trying to muddle through” This doesn’t feel terribly accurate because today I worked solo and succeeded greatly and to take it literally, I am not currently engaged in any real projects. Yes, there is one person I rely on a lot and whether or not I admit it publically, it is obvious to anybody that knows us. I am perfectly qualified for what I am engaging in this year. I am not always steady and rarely patient, but I am consistent and hardworking and a high achiever so
2. Lyrics to a song that fit your current mood/situation.
Everybody dance Everybody take a chance I got the rhythm in my heart Got to have it, baby
Day by day you live in harmony Step by step enjoy your fantasy La la la can do it hi hi hi you have to Try to dance another time with me
-Selections from “Everybody Dance” by Lolita.
Haha eurobeat rarely has really really good, even remotely deep lyrics, but this is not a time in which I feel the need to be deep or intellectual. I can be super smart and capable but still love losing myself in a catchy beat.
3. The 5 most memorable things to happen to you in 2010.
Here’s where you can tell this challenge is dated. But to be fair, 1. would be the mixed blessing of becoming interested in a certain Nick, a decision/inevitable happening that has caused me much pain and extreme happiness. 2. is joining (even despite leaving) the best Hetalia community facebook has ever known. They gave me so much support and strength and a sense of longing, plus the laughs and streams and fanart I loved.
3. Honestly, was the year ending and 2011 coming and going, an me having the maturity to reach out and make a change prior to the next school year. I am eternally grateful to the internet for brief periods of sanity.
Where have I been?
Well, I went to a Lolita meetup, had two flute performances (umm haven’t practiced since, awk), have been wearing some KILLER outfits and have finally mastered the art of selfie taking, and then watched as our oven exploded the night before Thanksgiving.
I got two weeks until exams. Yuck. I’m ready for winter break and all the sweet parties. Skating and picnic downtown. Gatsby-themed New Years Party complete with hot-tub. The never-ending flow of sparkling apple juice and Ramune.
I have some sparkly gold tights I want to wear.
I wish the cold would arrive. Another 80 degree December….
I don’t know why I keep dragging my heels on this post. Perhaps I’m not sure what tone to use, what light to cast these events in? Certainly, there were some major clunkers but I should instead sit here in awe of what great opportunities this presented me with.
Onto the main attraction: I was in a local fashion show!
So back during Metrocon, some people came up to me after my panel and asked me to be a stylist in their Japanese Street Fashion show. So I started attending committee meetings and fell in love with the group. It’s the J-club of a local college not too far from downtown. I was the stylist, as well as a model, for gyaru. The two models I was working with were so so nice and honestly if I went to that school, they probs would be the people I’d hang out with.
I provided all of the clothing. Those two were dressed in kogal attire, with makeup and hair based off old Egg scans. I tried to emulate the Black Diamond girls, earning myself the nickname “Boots with the Fur.” Other style groups represented were Lolita, Shironuri, Bosozoku, Rockabilly, Visual Kei, and Avant Garde.
So that Saturday, I arrived at the meeting room at 10am. We sat around, got dressed in our outfits (dumb in retrospect. I should have changed juuuust right before hair and makeup. I was so sweaty after rehearsing and helping setup), and ended up killing time for hours. We practiced our walks and skits with music and helped arrange tablecloths and decorations for tables in the ballroom.
Around 1pm the hair and makeup crew from a local cosmetics school arrived, set up their gear on some tables, and got to work. It was a free-for-all essentially. Stand in a huddle and get your look finished by 5pm. As stylist, I hopped around, observing my two models, providing reference photos and making comments to the stylists before getting my own hair and makeup done. It took hours getting everyone ready- we finished just in time for a brief dress rehearsal on stage.
(My makeup looks alright in this pic, save the ridiculous plastic, untrimmed false lashes, but tbh I could have done better myself. Next year, should I do gyaru again, I will do the makeup for myself and my models. This woman had a hissy fit bc she couldn’t find her pencil sharpener and couldn’t figure out how to use liquid liner. Whut.)
For some unknown reason, the actual show started an hour late. A dance team from another college and a martial arts group gave presentations before we hit the stage. After us there were taiko drummers, a performance by Chii Sakurabi, more dancers, and a Vocaloid hologram concert. All this and a provided dinner for a free event! I was asked to help serve food once my segment was over, so I used it as a chance to scope out the crowd. I saw an internet friend, girls from the local loli group, and a Lolita wearing an Atelier Enchanteur (Now Belladonna) octopus skirt!
All in all, it was a great experience and I hope this can get me in contact with my next big thing. I hope I can participate again next year. I feel like it was helping and will continue to spur my growth as a gyaru.
~My intent is never to incite an internet fight, as my complaints stem from the fights that have divided the fashion. ~
Lolita is great. The fashion is great, the people are great. Public reaction can be not-so-great. Prices suck. But generally there’s something for everyone, right?
I have been a Lolita for several years now, and I have learned to take the bad with the good and move on with my days, but every now and then something sticks in my mind.
Thus, this list was born. The obvious complaints are, of course:
- Fat Shaming. I know that brand is usually one-size-fits-all. The people that wear it, however, are not. Stop hating and allow people the resources to find clothes that not only fits their body type but also their individual style philosophy.
- End the hate on budget-lolis. Not everyone’s wallet is as bottomless as your own.
But also, I’ve noticed this attitude from people within Lolita circles that you have to constantly prove yourself. The inner circle, the leaders, won’t accept you as a “”"true”"”" Lolita unless you are in the frills everytime you are in their presence. Cosplayer? Nope. Gyaru? Nope. You are not allowed to do/wear multiple things and still be a “”"”"”true”"”"”"” Lolita.
I get it, if someone’s wearing a distinctly different style, it is hard to tell if they are indeed into Lolita. But if you are part of the local Lolita group, post in it occasionally, post Lolita coords, and run panels on Lolita fashion, it is pretty annoying to have some other person talk down to you and explain what Lolita is. But at least they’re talking to you. Some people won’t even talk to me unless I have proven to them that, I indeed, am a local Lolita. And even then, the brand elitism comes into play so I’m still in the wrong.
It is very hard to engage in local meetups and events when this is the attitude presented.
This is like half-review, half-rant, so bear with me. These are the items that help me achieve a positively glowing fake-fake-tan look for ganguro/manba purposes.
****Ben Nye Professional Crème Colors white clown lite compact: Super versatile and convenient. This is actually part of my homestuck cosplay supplies. I wear it as a base before my grey ben Nye layer. It is a cream/grease makeup and does get oily. I use it for reverse panda makeup, and it does have a bit of an issue around my eyelids. My creases get super oily and the white cream doesn’t stick well, so I frequently reapply. On my cheeks, however, it is effective. I also use it as lipstick, applying it with a small E.L.F. brush.
E.L.F. Contouring blush and bronzer: Slightly sparkly but not overwhelming, the bronzer side of the compact is the darker of my two favorite bronzers. I actually got this in last holiday’s gift bundle, but never used it until summertime. It stays mostly matte and lasts hours. For a powder, it isn’t too bad about rubbing off on everything I touch.
Wet N Wild Bronzzer: This thing is ANCIENT wow. I found it in my mom’s drawer, where it had to have been for at least six years, if not more. Whereas the E.L.F. bronzer looks brown in the pan, this one appears way more orange. I use this one over my foundation as the start of my orangeness, with the other bronzer to highlight (enhance? emphasize?) finer details. It’s pretty old and crumbly but I like the color. Rubs off like crazy, though.
Revlon Colorstay liquid foundation in 110 ivory: I’m actually going to buy new foundation soon. This is my old one that used to oxide on my skin and slowly turn orange throughout the day. I wear it with gyaru knowing that the oxidation will kick in when I need it and it makes a good base. This foundation lasts HOURSSSS like the claims are real. I’ve had it last mostly flawlessly for like 11 hours straight. Now, if only it came in a better color/formula for my oily skin…
(Sidenote~ Revlon Photoready concealer also turns red/orangey on my skin, so I sometimes use that to blend in around my jawline, but not always. With all the bronzer I use, it’s kind of unnecessary. Once again, a failed daily makeup product that I haven’t ditched yet.)
Ulta eyeshadows in seaside and cobalt: These two blue eyeshadows are sooo close in color, but cobalt has a slightly more teal than true blue feel to them. Seaside is perfect Vriska blue. I use them interchangeably. They look nice for the old-school blue eye look. They crease a bit but I think that’s more my skin type and eye shape. (My eye shape is complicated sometimes bc lack of good eyelid space)
NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in 604 Milk: I haven’t used this much yet. I have heard good reviews and it seems to be a go-to item for gyaru makeup. The thick tip and creamy texture seems good for highlighting the eyes and other smaller needs, but I doubt it’s ideal for huge eye circles like the Ben Nye is. I am interested to see how I can incorporate this pencil into my regular routine.
I’m not even gonna talk mascara because in my heart, there are only 3 mascaras for me (All Maybelline, of course….One by One, Falsies, and Great lash)
E.L.F. Eyelid primer: I use this every time I wear eye makeup. Oh yes.
E.L.F. Waterproof Eyeliner Pen: It is not waterproof and actually dries up really quickly, but this was always my go-to marker for lining eyes. The tip is thin enough for precision but can split and fray really easily. Will definitely rebuy. It’s like 1 buck so when it wears out, no biggie to replace it. It’s worth the effort. Long lasting and a nice black color (until it dries out, then it’s a flimsy grey) NOTE: this is not that crappy one with the 3 part tip. That one reeks.
Rimmel London Soft Kohl kajal eye liner pencil: I have it in white and black. These babies got me through my early makeup years. I have since ditched them for better liners and eyeshadows, but I used to use the white ones for cosplay purposes and for the corners and waterline of my eyes. Too nostalgic to forget. Long lasting, easily glides on. They come in a lot of good colors. Rimmel is my favorite for normal pencils.
Various Claire’s cosmetics: I’m too cheap to throw anything away. I have a little tub of silver glitter from there. My fav eyelash curler is from there (I hate hate hate the E.L.F. ones). I have this super sheer and shimmery eyeshadow pencil that is good for drawing under-eye bags that are trendy right now.
I was walking around the makeup section of Target when I saw something interesting in the clearance bin…. Maybelline Great Lash wildly colored mascara. I bought tubes of it in green, teal, and pink for $2.25 each.
I have always liked the Great Lash line. Their basic wand and black color is great for nabbing lashes at the inner corners of my eyes. I like to use it layered over several other mascaras for a nice finishing touch. Obviously, I was inclined to give these a try.
It’s hard to see, so I rubbed a little onto my hand. The pink is VERY vibrant.
(above: I wore the mascara with lots of pink eyeshadow near the lash line as well, but I think this photo shows just how bright the pink is)
The teal, however, shows up more of a dark dark blue on my lashes, which are naturally kind of dark. It is not truly teal. The green is also a deep forest green, rather than a more neon shade. I have a feeling that the 4th color, berry, which I did not buy is probably also a darker, more understated red. When paired with matching eyeshadow, I’m sure these mascaras pop, but the real winner is the pink. It’s so noticeable classmates were pointing it out all day the first time I wore it.
Posted November 6, 2013on:
1. What is your middle name?
2. Are you wearing makeup? Today I decided to underdress, even though it was a fashion show meeting. No, I am not wearing any tonight.
Sometimes I like to splash on a bit of blush and maybe a swipe of eyelid primer and a simple eyeshadow, just to give the illusion of effort. Other days, I start from scratch from primer to setting powder. I used to curl my eyelashes a lot but my fav curler busted.
3. What colour is your toothbrush? green with clear bits
4. Approximately how many posters are hung up in your room? I have 3 anime posters (APH, Shugo Chara, and FMA). I used to have at least 5 Pokémon posters around my bed and a horse poster (My Friend Flicka) but I took them down years ago. I don’t like horses anymore.
5. What does your hair product smell like? Nothing, really. It’s medicated.
6. Where would rather be right now? Back at the meeting, dancing with the models, or even in the convention center itself. I suppose another Halloween party would be nice, too.
7. What is the temperature outside? like 60. It’s wonderful! But for some reason, my pal from Ohio was cold today wtf.
8. Have you ever dyed your hair? If so what color? Back three years ago I tried pink streaks at home but they turned purple. Two years ago I did hot pink tips. It’s terrifying to think of how long ago that feels now
9. What is the funniest word you know? Idk I don’t really find them funny. That’s so middle school….back when “Awesomesauce” was popular and we talked about “Dinosaur clipboard assassins”
10. Name your favorite band starting with the letter “M” Um Morning Musume? MonteroOpera? Megpoid?
11. What is your favourite pick up line? And has anyone ever used it on you? No all pick up lines sucks as do those that use them.
12. Describe your first icon using only verbs. Laughingly, refreshingly smiling
13. What is the most expensive thing you have ever bought with your own money? I manage to beg my parents for money a lot or we split the cost halfway. Probs something at a con, like the time I spent $40 on Keras and Eggs.
14. State your favourite letter of the alphabet. Don’t have one… I do enjoy writing cursive Ls and fs
15. What is your favourite accent? Bleh accents aren’t that great. I don’t like the people than fawn over British accents or those that fetishize Asian accents.
16. How did you celebrate the new year? I had a small, quiet (more like somber) party at my house with some people I liked and some I didn’t. This year I am supposed to be hot tubbing at a friends house unless he ditches us to go to Hawaii
17. What do you call a brown fizzy drink that usually comes in a can? Coke. No exceptions. What kinda coke ya want?
18. Do you like fish? Nope. Don’t eat it.
19. What is your most used tag? EGL, gyaru, cosplay, or anime
20. Would you rather ask someone out or be asked out? I usually do the asking. I want it done right, I want to be in charge. They’re always too afraid to ask me themselves, without help.
21. What is your favourite Olympic sport to watch? I guess gymnastics or speed skating.
22. Have you ever dumped anyone? Ohhh yess
23. What do you want to be when you grow up? Alive.
24. Have you ever been to the United States? If so, where? Dude I live there.
25. What instrument have you always wanted to play? Piano?
26. Describe your dream partner’s eye colour. Idc really. Not soul-piercing blue. Anything but that cruelty.
27. What do you order at diners? Chicken fingers or a good burger. Those 50s styled diners with the sticky red seats are deliciously tacky as you people watch through the window into the main mall.
28. Coffee or espressos? tall mocha frap, whipped cream plz
29. What is the most annoying song on the radio at the moment? Blurred Lines aka I hate women wait what do u mean they wont have sex w me
30. How many contacts do you have on your phone? A lot but the numbers are now incorrect. I rarely update. It makes me think of Frankie and those turbulent days.
31. What type of music player do you own? A gen 2 clip shuffle and a gen 3 ipod nano. Love the clip shuffle- I think it fits my personality well. And the nano is super reliable. Had it 8 years now.
32. Describe your favourite painting. I saw this one red, covered in words one at the genocide museum that was powerful. I do prefer photography. I love Ansel Adams. I get to see an exhibit of his work soon. I want to see the half moon.
33. What was the best present you have ever received? With Christmas approaching, I know this will change. He gives me nice things, meaningful and sweet. A coffee mug full of roses. A hibiscus he’s been monitoring until it was in full bloom, carried delicately to school in a water-filled container.
34. Spring or Fall? Why? Fall because October is my muse and good things always happened then and the clothes. Spring is break and usually Megacon and stress but my birthday is approaching and I have to start worrying about exams and how to spend my summer and how to stay in contact and avoid isolation.
35. What was the last text you received? Who was it from? He doesn’t have a texting plan and everybody else is flaky. We tend to use Facebook chat these days. In that case, him. Or Michael.
36. Would you ever paint your room pink? It already is.
37. What colour is your underwear? No answering this.
38. Favourite perfume scent? I have an old Harajuku Girl perfume I got as a present. It’s pretty understated, maybe a bit of vanilla? Rose water is nice too.
39. What celebrity do you think needs to drop off a cliff? The rapist ones.
40. Do blue eyes turn you on? Turn off.
41. What meat do you prefer in a sandwich? Cold cuts make me think of the time last year when I was feeling sick and I was eating a Cuban and I almost barfed. I try not to let the meat touch my tongue anymore.
42. Would you ever wear a sweater to school? Duh?
43. What is the name of your current ringtone? A generic Verizon one. I used to have “Absolutely (story of a girl)”
44. Glasses or contacts? Glasses. Megane!!
45. What shoes do you normally wear to school? Black bow ballet flats. Or worn out flip flops
46. Where is your nearest television? Next to my desk, on a separate table.
47. What is your favourite vegetable? Red bell peppers.
48. When was the last time you drank milk? This morning. It was chocolate.
49. What was your lowest grade in school? I got a C average in advanced honors chemistry
50. Are you using Google chrome? Internet explorer 4 lyfe yo